Horse-Drawn Carriages are a wonderful way to experience the beauty of the Park. They can be found all year round lined up along Central Park South between 5th and 6th Avenues. There are a couple different kinds of rides to choose from:
Pre-Arranged Rides: To ensure that a carriage is available when you want it, visitors can arrange for their ride in advance by making a reservation. Rides are priced according to length, and they range from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. This service, although providing a similar experience to the standard walk-up ride, includes additional sites and a booking fee. A pre-arranged 45 minutes ride is quoted at $165 per carriage during off-season months. Add-ons such as ride length, photography, flowers, special pick-up and drop-off locations, etc may increase this rate. Alternatively, a walk-up 45 minutes ride will cost around $110; however it is not possible to guarantee availability or pre-arrange add-ons with a walk-up ride. Customers can choose between a walk-up or pre-arranged carriage ride depending on their individual needs. Reserve Now ›
Custom Carriage Rides: Carriage rides can also be tailored to fit personalized wants and needs for various occasions. Reservations are required for custom rides. Reserve Now ›
Standard Carriage Rides: The standard carriage ride through Central Park costs $50 plus tip for the first 20 minutes (per carriage, not per person). Every additional 10 minutes in the carriage is $20 more, and longer rides are negotiable. Prices may vary, so make sure you check with the driver before the ride begins. Things seen on the tour include: The Wollman Rink, Pond, Zoo, Sheep Meadow, Mall (statues), Dairy (tourist information center), the Carousel and the Dakota (where the former Beatle John Lennon lived). Approximate distance of the ride is .75 miles.
NOTE: There are no reservations for standard rides, only walk ups. To take a standard carriage ride, you can locate a carriage on Central Park South between 5th and 6th avenues.
Carriage Ride Regulations:
All rides are subject to New York City rules and regulations and ordinances:
1. Summer restrictions - No carriage may operate above 89 degrees. It is suggested that you watch the weather reports during the summer months. Often the authorities will send the carriages home at 87 degrees.
2. Winter restrictions - No carriage may operate below 19 degrees or during Blizzards. ASPCA has, on occasion, sent horses home on short notice when it snows.
3. Police blockades or visits from important political figures visiting New York City may cause streets to be closed down. If the carriage is unable to gain access to your pick-up point, the carriage company cannot take responsibility.
4. Carriage Capacity - Four (4) adults per carriage, or: 3 adults & 2 kids under the age of 12, or: 1 adult & 4 kids under the age of 12.
5. Monday-Friday rides start at 10AM, Saturday and Sunday rides start at 9AM
6. Prearranged rides start at 59th Street and 7th Avenue. All others start at 5th, 6th ,7th or 8th avenues. If you do not show up at your designated location at the correct time, the company is not responsible for your loss of time. You have bought a specific time slot. Booking fees included in costs of all rides.
7. Night rides go until at least 2 AM. The office closes 7 PM sharp!
8. No rides below 34th Street. This is NYC Law.