The Grand Army Plaza, completed in 1916, is the primary east side entrance to Central Park. One of the four corners of Central Park, the Plaza takes its name from the Union Army in the Civil War. Following in this tradition, a bronze statue of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman has been erected in his honor.
The Pulitzer Fountain lies in the second half of Grand Army Plaza, on the southern end. This Fountain features a bronze statue of the Roman goddess of abundance, Pomona.
The Grand Army Plaza is perhaps best know as the place to begin a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Park. It is also the place to find art installations by both known artists, such as Paul McCarthy and Liz Larner, and newer, up-and-coming artists.
— Jesse M. Wheeler